Home care funding benefits and allowances

Once you decide to obtain home care and support either for you or a loved one, you need to establish whether you are entitled to care funding. There are many ways to get funding you may be entitled to. Some social care funding support is means tested, or health and ability tested, whereas other sources of funding are not. This guide may assist you.

  • Local Authority Funded Means Tested Home Care .

Social care funding support is available subject to your financial circumstances. To find out if you qualify please contact your local social services department


Once you have been assessed by your local council as somebody who needs personal care support, you will be allocated a ‘Personal Budget’, which you can then use to purchase your care. This sum of money can be paid in the form of Direct Payments, Individual Service Funds (ISFs), or Individual Budgets.

Sometimes your local authority will not provide funding to cover everything you want to include in your care plan, i.e. they will only provide funding to cover basic essentials. In this scenario you would need to pay separately for any additional services you required.

Visit Directgov site

  • Social Care Payments - Not Means Tested                                                  


          This benefit is not subject to your financial circumstances. Instead it is assessed by taking  account of your age and your ability to                 perform necessary daily living tasks.  Please click on the link below to find out more from the Directgov website.               

          Visit Directgov site

  • Disability and Long Term Sickness Payments 


If you have a disability, a long term health condition or a serious illness, then you may be entitled to receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which replaced the previous Disability Living Allowance (DLA). Personal Independence Payments help with extra costs associated with long term ill-health or disability for people aged 16 to 64.

Visit Directgov site

  • Further Assistance For Funding 

Financial assistance for over 65’s:

If you are over 65 and physically or mentally disabled you may be eligible to receive Attendance Allowance (AA). The Attendance Allowance is to provide extra help with personal care needs.


Further assistance with care funding:

If you have concerns about funding your care you should visit the Paying For Care website. This is an impartial consumer focused website providing information on all aspects of care funding, including local authority assessments, care entitlements, costs of care, and arranging care for someone else.

Visit Paying for Care

Self-directed Support

Self-Directed Support (SDS) allows you or your loved one to choose how any support is given, by providing as much ongoing control as needed, over how individual budgets are spent on care support.

In other words, SDS is the way in which a person decides how a pot of money is spent, in order to purchase their required health care services.

SDS offers a number of different options for how an individual can obtain the support they need. Essentially the service user has four options of cover available to them:

  • Further Assistance For Funding  

A direct payment or cash payment to allow you to arrange support to meet your agreed support plan outcomes.

  • Individual Service Fund 


Whereby the Council or Mi Life Care Services will hold the budget monies, but you are in charge of how it is spent.

  • Local Authority Support Pre-Arranged


The council arranges support on your behalf to meet your support plan outcomes. We can also provide this more traditional form of service delivery as well

  • Combined


          A combination of the above options can also be used if you feel this provides the best solution for you.